Hurricane Laura relief help

Living in New Orleans no one understands more about what it is like after a hurricane

Loss of power for days or weeks

Stores closed and the streets are quiet at night

I still remember the smell after Hurricane Katrina

The mold and trash piled up for weeks in the street as most homeowners were pulling up carpet and sending their duct taped refrigerator to the curb

When a hurricane hits another community like Hurricane Laura did to Lake Charles my heart sinks

The damage looks horrible and some residents are going home to nothing

 

HOW CAN YOU HELP?

I ask myself this every time after a disaster

I’m like most I want to help but I don’t want the money wasted

I don’t want 1% of my contribution going to the people in need and the other 99% to pay the charities operating costs

You can research a charity using Charity Navigator or Guidestar

and if you detect fraud you can report it to the National Center for Disaster Fraud

 

I was doing some research over the weekend…checking social media posts and reading up on websites

 

HERE ARE THREE THAT MIGHT BE THE PLACE TO SEND YOUR DONATION

There are many to choose from and in no way are these the only three

Like me we can give to all of them but pick one and send what you can is my thinking

SBP

SBP is an organization that provides the assistance to disaster-impacted families in need and was founded after Hurricane Katrina in March 2006

Read more in the about us section

Where does your money go?

Your donation provides

$100 – provides protective gear to 10 volunteers

$250 – funds 3 kits to muck/gut flooded homes

$500 – helps SBP reach 1,000 homeowners with disaster preparedness education

$1,000 – deploys a team of AmeriCorps members to support disaster recovery

 

COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF SOUTHWEST LOUISIANA

In direct response to Hurricane Laura this is an organization that will distribute funds to non profits that have proven to help when disaster strikes

Where does the money go?

Disaster grants pay for food, shelter, medicine and all other necessities that help stabilize those in most immediate need

http://www.foundationswla.org/hurricane-relief

 

SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK

This is a local favorite that helps provide food for the hungry. 

They provide 34 million meals annually to people in need

They have boots on the ground in the Lake Charles area 

Every $1 donated provides 4 meals to someone in need

Donate now to Second Harvest Food Bank

 

NATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS

If you prefer to contribute to national charities 

Salvation Army 

Red Cross

Americares

United Way of Southwest Louisiana